The Science faculty follows the QCA sequence of topics but, whilst some of the ideas from the QCA schemes of work are incorporated into the modules, essentially the schemes are in-house ones.
There are four units of work for each science discipline in each of Years 7,8 and 9.
For Chemistry these are:-
Year 7 7E Acids and Alkalis
7F Simple Chemical Reactions
Year 8 8E Atoms and Elements
8F Compounds and Mixtures
8G Rocks and Weathering
8H The Rock Cycle
Year 9 9E Reactions of Metals and Metal Compounds
9F Patterns of Reactivity
9G Environmental Chemistry
9H Using Chemistry
Moodle Course for Students preparing for Y9 Exam
These programmes provide pupils with:-
- Breadth of study;
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through science;
- Key skills of communication, application of number, ICT, working with others, improving their own learning and performance and problem solving;
- Thinking skills, through engagement in the processes of scientific enquiry;
- Enterprise and entrepreneurial skills, through learning about the work of scientists and the ways in which scientific ideas are used in technological products and processes;
- Work-related learning
- Educational learning for sustainable development, through developing pupils' skills in decision making on the basis of sound science, the exploration of values and ethics relating to the application of science and technology, and developing pupils' knowledge and understanging of some key concepts.