The aims and objectives of the year 8 Food Technology course is to equip students with the skills and knowledge highlighted below:-
- Develop an understanding of nutritional requirements and sources of nutrients.
- Investigate the properties of food ingredients.
- Recognise the need to adapt recipes to suit different dietary needs.
- To disassemble ready made foods to recognise how they are manufactured and to make comparisons with homemade equivalents.
- Use software to calculate nutritional content.
- Students will learn to work co-operatively in a small group to complete the ‘Food around the World’ project.
The Design process includes:-
- Designing and making a healthy drink which includes investigating labelling and the nutritional content.
- The ‘Food around the World’ project involves :-
- Researching relevant information, to gain knowledge of lifestyles and how they affect the type of foods eaten in their chosen country.
- Making traditional dishes.
- Communicating information to others by producing a display and delivering a Power Point presentation to the rest of the class.
Examples of Practical work:-
- Bolognese sauce
- Healthy drink
- A selection of traditional dishes representing counties chosen for their project..