The aims and objectives of the Year 9 Design Technology course is to build on the knowledge gained in Years 7 & 8 and to continue extending skills so students can work independently, before starting their GCSE Design Technology course.
This will be enhanced by:-
- To gain an understanding of key design influences such as Rennie Mackintosh, Alessi and Philippe Starck
- To further develop the students knowledge of plastics, woods and metals use in product design
- Developing designs using constraints such as restrictions on material usage
- Developing 3D designs from sheet material
- Acquiring workshop techniques to work to close tolerance fits
- Developing advanced Photoshop skills to present a graphic layout to include a mixture of text, and images.
- To gain an awareness of the design features used by graphic designers in the development of logos as part of corporate identity
- To gain an understanding of Smart Materials such as thermochromic reactive materials
The Design process includes:-
- Designing and making a self assembly clock
- Designing and making a disposable thermometer to be used on holiday
Self Assembly Clocks