|House Master||Mr A Haigh|
|House Mistress||Mrs R Pyrah|
A landmark in the history of Heckmondwike Grammar School was made in September 1994 with the introduction of a new and fourth house. The additional house was necessary due to an increase in pupil numbers following the transition to a four form entry school. The new house was to be called Houldsworth following a competition that had been held in the school earlier in the year.
The patron of the new house was Sir Hubert S. Houldsworth Bt., Q.C., D.Sc., LLD., one of the most, if not the most distinguished old scholar of HGS. Sir Hubert had a most distinguished academic career, first at HGS and later at Leeds University where he graduated with First Class Honours in 1911. After a few years as a teacher, he returned to Leeds University as a lecturer. He was still on the staff at the university when he was called to the Bar by Lincoln’s Inn in 1926.
He never lost his affection for H.G.S. and was ready to serve it in any way, either by words of encouragement or by a fight for its interests. As Pro-Chancellor of Leeds University, he was always ready to help old scholars in their later careers. His essential kindness and good humour never failed in dealings with his fellow men.
He died during the night of January 31st 1956 and soon after was posthumously knighted. His death was a blow to the school but he was remembered with pride for his services to school and his country.