Our Ethos, Values and Aims
At Heckmondwike Grammar School our ethos for the whole school community is based on the school motto “Nil Sine Labore” – Nothing Without Work.
We expect a lot from our students and staff and recognise that hard work brings rewards.
The principal values of our school community are:
Heckmondwike Grammar School has provided the best education for able students since 1898. As we embrace the opportunities and challenges of the 21st century, we will continue to uphold the traditions, values and high expectations of an exceptional grammar school within an innovative, creative and progressive framework.
At Heckmondwike Grammar School, we work together as a team to achieve academic excellence and personal potential by:
- Providing students and staff with every opportunity to flourish and develop their skills and talents as individuals.
- Providing academic rigour and nurturing ambition and aspiration in our students, such that they become the leaders of the future in high calibre careers, via top university education or direct employment.
- Celebrating diversity, by creating a vibrant, safe and happy school, with a strong sense of community, respect and responsibility to both ourselves and others.
- Challenging and stimulating the minds of our students through excellent teaching, diverse learning opportunities, and a rich, balanced, academic curriculum, such that students develop a life-long love of learning
- Working hard and playing hard via an extensive extra-curricular programme based on the House system that enriches and extends the curriculum, encouraging students to explore and develop their personal interests and skills.
- Working in close partnership with parents and members of the wider community to provide the best possible education for our students.