16-19 Bursary Information
The student bursary fund aims to help and support students enrolled in the school Sixth Form who face barriers to learning, and to ensure that students can fully participate in and benefit from the 16-19 curriculum.
If you fall into one of the categories below, you may be able to claim bursary:
Students in one of the following groups:
- In care
- Care leavers
- In receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit
- Disabled students in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence Payments) AND Employment support allowance
Students receive a guaranteed bursary of £1,200 per annum allocated in two parts:
- Payment ‘in kind’ to cover the cost of travel, food and course requirements.
- A monthly payment (subject to attendance and learning agreement).
CATEGORY ‘B’ – Discretionary
Students living in a household where the gross annual income is £16,190 or eligible for free school meals.
Students can claim a regular monthly payment (subject to attendance and learning agreement). The total annual amount available to the academy for discretionary bursaries depends on student numbers.
Students are also entitled to apply for Free School Meals:
- Students living in Kirklees can apply online at www.kirklees.gov.uk
- Students living outside Kirklees should contact the school Business Office for further details.
CATEGORY ‘C’ – Discretionary
Students who do not qualify in categories A or B but face significant barriers to education leading to a need for financial support
Students can apply for funds to meet a short term or specific educational need, typically these include transport costs (bus pass), educational equipment, or a contribution to a trip or other curriculum related activity.
Payments are subject to availability of funds and the number of applications received.
Download an application pack below.
- Complete the application form in full and return to the Student Services team in a sealed envelope together with your supporting evidence (original documents only). Once your application has been processed the original documents will be returned to you.
- A decision regarding your application, once made, will be confirmed in writing, together with a pay plan and signed learning agreement.
- The closing date for discretionary bursary applications is Friday 28 September. Applications for category C bursary can be made at any time.
- If you experience a sudden change in your financial circumstances, and require immediate assistance, an application form can be submitted at any time
Bursary Application Form 2018-2019
Bursary Payment Plan 2018-2019