Students in Years 7 to 11 are expected to wear school uniform. The uniform is very important as it constitutes a visible representation of the school and its values. Students are expected to wear the uniform smartly during the school day and on their way to and from school. All clothing and equipment brought to school must be clearly marked with the name of the student.
The purpose of the uniform is:
- to promote a positive image of the school to students, parents and members of the public,
- to maintain the traditions of the school thereby encouraging a sense of identity and pride in our students,
- to provide smart, attractive, cost effective and hard wearing clothing suitable for all seasons,
- to help maintain a disciplined and safe learning environment free from distraction
- School blazer
- Regular fit, tailored school uniform trouser – charcoal grey or plain black.
- Pleated or plain brown skirt (length on or below the knee)
- White stiff collared shirt (long enough to tuck in) buttoned to the neck, long or short sleeved (no capped sleeves).
- School tie in brown and gold stripe with house colour badge
- Grey school pullover (optional). Please note that no other item may be worn under the blazer.
- Short grey or black socks (not trainer socks) or plain tights (black, brown or beige)
- Sensible plain black leather ‘school / formal’ shoes with flat heels. (high heels, boots, trainers and canvas shoes are not allowed) – click here for suitable footwear
- Headscarves worn for religious reasons should be plain and in keeping with the uniform (in brown, black or dark grey material). For safeguarding reasons, these should not obscure the tie and lanyard, or lapels of the blazer, where school badges will be worn.
For Physical Education and Games
- School branded sports shirt (short sleeved OR long sleeved)
- School branded training top
- School branded tracksuit bottoms OR school shorts OR School branded sports leggings
- Black sports socks (House colours)
- Trainers for use indoors and on the MUGA / netball courts (Astro turf OR running style trainers)
- Football studded boots – For use on the grass playing fields.
- Personal protective equipment – shin pads and a gum shield
- Black base layer
- School branded fleece
- School branded beanie hat
- Screw in studded football boots for use on the grass playing fields
Please note that no other items may be worn as PE kit.
Headscarves should be removed for PE and games or should be tight fitting or of balaclava style.
Students should not attend school with a hairstyle, which by virtue of its colour or style is designed to attract attention e.g. sculptured styles or bright colours. The shaving of patterns into the hair is specifically forbidden. Long hair will need to be tied back in certain practical lessons and always in PE and games. Slides, clips, headscarves and headbands should be brown, black or grey.
Only one pair of stud earrings may be worn – one in each ear. No other visible piercings will be allowed. If any other piercings are carried out the jewellery inserted must in all cases be removed during the school day. Students should not wear make-up and/or nail varnish.
The school uniform is available from one of two local specialist retailers, currently Frank Harrison (FHB) of Brighouse or Rawclifffe’s in Dewsbury.
Enforcement of uniform policy
Students who do not comply with the uniform policy/dress code may, at the discretion of the headteacher, be excluded from lessons or sent home to change.